Introducing “The Majestic Danube River Cruise: An Immersive Journey Through Southeast Europe” – an exclusive and immersive river cruise journey hosted by Cindi Sanden, the owner of Awaken Travels.
As an experienced world traveler passionate about creating distinctive experiences, Cindi will personally guide you through five captivating countries along the lower Danube River: Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria, and Romania. Embark on this 7-night luxury cruise, where you will delve into the rich cultures, admire the stunning landscapes, engage with historic landmarks, and savor the culinary delights each region has to offer.
Don’t miss your chance to create lasting memories, celebrate the wonders of Southeast Europe, and experience the majesty of the Danube River under the expert guidance of Cindi Sanden. Reserve your spot today, as spaces are quickly filling!
Why should you reserve your spot today?
- Expert Host: Travel with Cindi Sanden, the owner of Awaken Travels, who uses her extensive travel experience and passion for crafting unique journeys to ensure your river cruise is truly extraordinary.
- Exclusive Access: Our carefully curated itinerary includes guided city tours, culinary experiences, wine tastings, and visits to off-the-beaten-path destinations that few travelers have the privilege to explore.
- Culinary Delights: Indulge in the diverse flavors of Southeast Europe as you partake in regional specialties during on-board meals and local cuisine demonstrations.
- Luxurious Accommodations: Rest in a river view stateroom aboard a luxurious ship, chosen for its exceptional service, superb amenities, and stunning views, ensuring an indulgent and comfortable stay.
- Immersive Cultural Experiences: Visit five distinctive countries and delve into their unique cultures through immersive experiences, from walking tours of historic cities to interactive culinary demonstrations.
Don’t hesitate – spaces are limited, and this exceptional opportunity won’t last long. Make your reservation today by placing your deposit and secure your place on this captivating voyage through Southeast Europe, where history, culture, and the beauty of the Danube River await under the expert guidance of your host, Cindi Sanden!
Reserve now and experience “The Majestic Danube River Cruise: An Immersive Journey Through Southeast Europe” – the adventure of a lifetime that you’ll cherish forever.
If you book your cruise before June 30th, you can enjoy a special discount of $1,000 off per person for the cruise portion of your journey. Don’t miss out on this fantastic opportunity to experience the gems of Southeast Europe at an incredible value!
Please note, this offer is subject to availability and terms and conditions apply.
About this trip:
Embark on a 7-night cruise journey that takes you through the stunning landscapes and rich cultures of Southeast Europe. Touch history and learn about wine making traditions while sailing along the lower Danube River through Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria, and Romania. Be treated to the flavors, sights, sounds, and cultures of this diverse swath of the continent.
This video talks about the itinerary going in the opposite direction but offers great information about the itinerary and the stops.
What’s included in this trip:
- 7-night cruise in a riverview stateroom on the majestic Danube River.
- Multiple cultural and culinary experiences, such as wine tastings, city tours, local cuisine demonstrations, and guided bike tours.
- All meals onboard the ship (B=breakfast, L=lunch, D=dinner).
- An immersive cultural experience through five distinctive countries.
What’s not included:
- International airfare
- Travel insurance
- Personal expenditures and souvenirs
- Any optional tours or activities not specified in the itinerary
DAY 1 Giurgiu
EMBARKATION- Embark the ship in Giurgiu for your Gems of Southeast Europe cruise.
DAY 2 Rousse
- Veliko Tarnovo excursion OR
- Bucharest excursion OR
- Rousse Walking Tour and Rock-Hewn Churche
Experience more of Bucharest, or visit Bulgaria’s ancient capital, Veliko Tarnovo, with its medieval fortress and multiple orthodox temples. You can opt instead to explore Rousse, known for its 19th- and 20th-century Neo-Baroque and Neo-Rococo architecture, and then afterwards visit the UNESCO-designated Rock-Hewn Churches of Ivanovo with frescos revealing exceptional artistry of 14th-century paintings. (B,L,D)
DAY 3 Vidin
- Baba Vida Fortress and Vidin Walking Tour OR
- Banitsa Pastry & Yogurt Making OR
- Vidin Bike Tour
- Calafat Wine Tasting
Explore Vidin, one of Bulgaria’s oldest cities, and surrounding areas with a choice of excursions. Discover Baba Vida Fortress, the largest preserved medieval castle in Bulgaria. Alternatively, visit a local home for a demonstration of traditional Bulgarian yogurt and Banitsa, a pastry you will also get to make. You also have the choice to bike through Vidin and to the castle. Or enjoy a wine tasting at a local winery, situated in the Calafat region. (B,L,D)
DAY 4 Iron Gates
- Scenic cruising
- Golubac Fortress Tour
The Iron Gates are some of Europe’s most awe-inspiring natural wonders. The Danube narrows as it winds through a series of magnificent gorges between the Carpathian and Balkan mountains, forming a natural border between Serbia and Romania. The ancient King Decebalus, the last king of Dacia, is proudly carved into the mountainside and always captivates travelers. After your scenic cruise, you will arrive at Golubac Fortress – one of the best preserved medieval fortresses in Europe – for a tour. (B,L,D)
DAY 5 Belgrade
- “The City by Two Rivers” tour OR
- Fortress Hike OR
- Podrum Panajotovic Wine Tasting
- “Brandies of Belgrade” tasting OR
- Guided Bike Tour of Belgrade
Explore Serbia’s capital, Belgrade, on a city tour, which includes the Nikola Tesla Museum, encompassing the world-renowned inventor’s life and inventions, as well as the Kalemegdan Fortress and the Serbian Orthodox Temple of St. Sava. Alternatively, you can enjoy a taste of the region by sampling wine and snacks at the Podrum Panajotovic Wine Cellar, where old traditions and excellent wine are preserved 10 meters below the streets of Belgrade. Then, savor the taste of a few types of Serbian brandy paired with delicious local appetizers, including Šlivovitz, which was added in 2022 to UNESCO’s list of “Intangible Cultural Heritage.” For those wishing for a more active adventure, join a guided bike tour or hike to Belgrade Fortress. (B,L,D)
DAY 6 Novi Sad
- “The Athens of Serbia” walking tour OR
- Serbian Specialties OR
- Petrovaradin Fortress hike OR
- Novi Sad bike tour
- Vukovar City Tour with Eltz Manor House OR
- Croatian wine tasting
Discover Novi Sad, the “Serbian Athens,” on a walking tour to Dunavski Park and through Stari Grad, the Old Town center. If you prefer a more active exploration, join a guided biking tour or hike to Petrovaradin Fortress, a mighty stronghold no enemy has ever breached. Or, learn how to prepare traditional Vojvodina cuisine by a chef and local homemakers and enjoy a taste of your culinary creation. Later in the day, cruise to Vukovar, a Croatian symbol of resistance, which you’ll better understand on your city tour showcasing the Ovčara Memorial and Eltz Manor House. Alternatively, choose a wine tasting in Ilok, a center of wine production since Roman times, where you’ll sample its famous Grasevina, Traminac and Frankovka wines. (B,L,D)
DAY 7 Mohacs
- Pécs excursion OR
- Szekszárd wine tasting OR
- Guided Bike ride along the Danube
Visit Pécs, founded more than 2,000 years ago by the Romans, and the UNESCO-designated Christian Necropolis; St. Peter’s Basilica, the city’s main Catholic cathedral along with its catacombs; and Széchenyi Square, the heart of Old Town Pécs. You will also see the Mosque of Pasha Qasim the Victorious, one of the symbols of the city. Or for wine connoisseurs, you’ll want to go to the Szekszárd wine region, one of the oldest red-wine-growing areas in Hungary, established more than 2,000 years ago. You may also take an exhilarating guided bike tour from Mohács through Danube-Drava National Park. (B,L,D)
DAY 8 Budapest
DISEMBARKATION- Disembark the ship in Budapest and prepare for your flight home. (B)
An Overview of the AmaWaterways Cruise Experience
- Luxurious Views and Room: With staterooms that have two private balconies and larger than average space, AmaWaterways offers a luxurious and rejuvenating experience. The ships carry an average of 156 guests, ensuring that public venues such as restaurants and lounges are never overcrowded.
- Excursions: The cruise line provides a diverse range of included shore excursions to accommodate different tastes, from city tours showcasing highlights and landmarks to special interest tours that immerse guests in local life.
- Active Exploration: AmaWaterways was the first river cruise line to carry a fleet of complimentary bicycles for guests to explore riverside pathways and city centers. They also offer guided hikes that take guests off the beaten path.
- Dining: As a member of La Chaîne des Rôtisseurs, an international culinary society, AmaWaterways offers exquisite, locally-sourced cuisine and traditional Western offerings. All onboard dining, as well as unlimited wine and beer with lunch and dinner, is included in the cruise fare.
- Service: The professional, all-English speaking crew is trained to exceed expectations and provide personalized service, from anticipating individual preferences to offering special touches that make guests feel at home.
- Relaxation and Entertainment: AmaWaterways offers luxurious amenities for relaxation, including massages, wellness activities, fitness rooms, and a sun-deck pool with a swim-up bar. Evening onboard entertainment features local musicians, dancers, and storytellers.
- Connectivity: The cruise line provides complimentary internet access and Wi-Fi aboard the ships, and the myAmaCruise app offers information about daily programs and shore excursions.
- Innovation: Known for its innovative approach, AmaWaterways was the first to offer twin-balcony staterooms, a specialty restaurant, a fleet of bicycles on board, and a broad selection of tours. They continue to look for new ways to enhance the guest experience.
- Cruise Options: AmaWaterways offers unique itineraries that delve into the rich history and culture of Europe, including wine cruises, Christmas Market cruises, and New Year’s cruises.
Set sail aboard the AmaVerde, a remarkable river cruise ship designed with light, love, and bold artwork showcasing vibrant, modern designs. This stunning ship, a captivating companion of the AmaBella, was completely redesigned in 2021 and now sails on the romantic Danube River.
The AmaVerde provides spacious, sophisticated staterooms that set the mind at ease for restful slumber, while a comfortable fireside library and on-board massage and hair salon invite guests to relax and unwind.
- Built in: Netherlands
- Length: 443 feet
- Width: 38 feet
- Crew: 51
- Staterooms: 80
- Passengers: 160
- Registry: Switzerland
- Home port: Basel
Twin Balconies: Enjoy panoramic views and plenty of fresh air in lavish twin-balcony staterooms that feature both a French balcony and an outside balcony.
Award-Winning Dining: Savor exquisite cuisine at a variety of dining venues, including the Main Restaurant and The Chef’s Table.
Inviting Public Spaces: With fewer guests on board, enjoy the luxury of space to unwind, relax, and reconnect with loved ones.
Sightsee by Bike: With a fleet of complimentary bicycles on board, explore Europe on guided bike tours or go discover on your own.
Sun-Deck Pool: Soak up some rays or take a dip in the refreshing pool with a swim-up bar.
Massage Services and Hair Salon: Treat yourself to a bit of pampering with a soothing massage after a day of immersive shore excursions.
Fitness Room: Stay fit on vacation with the on-board fitness room.
Enriching Entertainment: From traditional Bavarian music to modern piano favorites, there is an eclectic schedule of entertainment on board.
Please note that this is a brief overview. For more detailed information about the ship, including deck plans and stateroom categories, please visit the AmaWaterways website.
Pricing and Room Category Details:
Category AA – Violin Deck – French Balcony & Outside Balcony, 235 sq. ft.
Price: $5,698.00 per person, double occupancy
Category AB – Cello Deck – French Balcony & Outside Balcony, 235 sq. ft.
Price: $5,498.00 per person, double occupancy
Category BA – Violin Deck – French Balcony & Outside Balcony, 210 sq. ft.
Price: $5,298.00 per person, double occupancy
Category BB – Cello Deck – French Balcony & Outside Balcony, 210 sq. ft.
Price: $5,098.00 per person, double occupancy
Category C – Violin & Cello Deck – French Balcony, 170 sq. ft.
Price: $4,498.00 per person, double occupancy
Cabin Amenities for All Categories:
- In-room temperature control
- Deluxe hotel-style bedding with Egyptian linen, down pillows, and duvet
- Spacious bathrooms with multi-jet shower heads
- Large wardrobe, full-length mirror, hair dryer, safe, and direct-dial telephone
- Flat-screen TV
- Entertainment on Demand system providing complimentary TV, movies, and music library
- Complimentary internet and Wi-Fi
- Complimentary bottled water replenished daily
- Desk and chair
Note: Pricing is per person based on double occupancy. Prices are subject to change without notice.
Please note that the pricing and availability stated on this page are subject to change without prior notice due to factors beyond our control. While we endeavor to provide the most accurate, up-to-date information, the itineraries and fares advertised here may change due to fluctuating exchange rates, changes in government taxes, supplier price increases, or for any other reason.
We strongly recommend that all bookings should be made after considering these factors. We sincerely appreciate your understanding in this regard and we assure you of our best services at all times.
For the most current pricing and availability, solo pricing, or more cabin options, please contact Cindi Sanden at [email protected].
This 13-night journey offers two nights in Bucharest, two nights in Brasov, a 7-night cruise from Giurgiu, Romania, to Budapest, Hungary, and two nights in Vienna.
Throughout this journey, you’ll have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the history and winemaking traditions of Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria, and Romania. Visit local wineries, taste history, and experience the diverse cultures of this part of the continent.
The extended itinerary offers a variety of activities, from exploring the homes of Romanian royalty and the birthplace of Dracula in Transylvania, to cruising the Iron Gates, a stunning gorge that forms a natural border between Serbia and Romania.
In Serbia’s capital, Belgrade, you’ll have the opportunity to visit the Nikola Tesla Museum and the Kalemegdan Fortress, or perhaps sample Serbian brandy.
The city of Novi Sad offers a walking tour of the “Serbian Athens,” or the opportunity to learn traditional Vojvodina cuisine. You can also explore the Croatian city of Vukovar or taste wines in Ilok.
In Hungary, visit the ancient city of Pécs or the Szekszárd wine region, one of the oldest red-wine-growing areas in Hungary. After disembarking in Budapest, you’ll transfer to Vienna for the final leg of your journey.
Explore Vienna’s majestic Opera House, the former Imperial Palace of the Habsburgs, and Vienna’s historic city center.
Please note that this extended itinerary is optional and will incur an additional cost.
These land packages offer the opportunity to extend your journey and further explore the gems of Southeast Europe.
Please note that these packages are optional and come at an additional cost. Also, the rates listed below do not include Intra-Air flight segments.
- 2 Nights Bucharest & 2 Nights Brasov package (Pre-Cruise)
- USD: $1200 Double Per Person/ $1800 Single
- 2 Nights Vienna package (Post-cruise)
- USD: $660 Double Per Person/ $980 Single
Terms and Conditions
By booking a trip with us and paying the deposit, you are agreeing to our Terms and Conditions policy. Please note that our policy includes, but is not limited to, the following key points:
- You agree to comply with the terms and conditions of suppliers regarding your travel services and any changes to them, and you agree to pay any applicable change or cancellation fees.
- If you change or cancel a reservation or booking, you may be subject to:
- Agency fees of USD $100 Per Person
- Supplier fees, charges, or penalties.
- No refunds will apply to any canceled, unused, or partially used travel service.
- Hotels may not permit changes to or cancellation of reservations, subject to the terms and conditions of the hotel reservation.
- Failure to travel or show up for any reservation or booking is considered a “no show.”
- No show penalties will equal amounts up to the entire cost of travel, subject to terms and conditions of the supplier and agency policies.
Refunds, Chargebacks, and Adjustments
- Full details and proof of payment documentation must accompany all claims.
- You may not be entitled to a refund if you change or cancel your travel plans after a confirmation of the booking or payment for a booking.
- Refunds are subject to Supplier terms and conditions.
- Suppliers may not issue refunds for cancellation due to actual, threatened, or fear of potential terrorist events, political unrest, pandemic or health concerns, or similar circumstances.
- You waive any right to a chargeback in case of cancellation (except for fraud), including any force majeure event.
You will be asked to sign and agree to our Terms and Conditions before your reservation will be confirmed.
- Get to know Awaken Travels agent: Owner Cindi Sanden
- A Look at Three Fantastic Halloween Destinations
- How To See The Best Of Canada Now That We Can Visit Again
- Vacation Souvenirs: Buy Local, Buy Authentic
- The 7 Best Destinations for Underwater Exploration
- Your Best Vacation: Why You Should Use a Travel Specialist
- 10 Valentine’s Day Gifts for Your Favorite Traveler
- Expert tips for what to do with your pets while on vacation