Volunteering benefits children in so many ways, and travel gives them a view of the world that they can’t glean from books. That’s why a volunteer vacation is the perfect family vacation.
Benefits of Volunteering for Kids
Volunteering helps kids to see how their contributions make a difference to people, animals or the environment, giving them a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment. It helps them develop a strong work ethic and can improve their social skills by offering them the opportunity to interact with new people with similar interests.
Benefits of Travel for Kids
Travel can be a wonderful educational experience for children. Seeing well-known historical sites first-hand helps to make history come alive for kids. They can also gain an appreciation for different cultures. It’s one thing to read about a place in a school book and another to taste the food, smell the spices in the marketplace, hear the language and begin to pick up a few words and stand inside a home in that place.
Volunteering as a Family
Between soccer practice, gym workouts and PTA meetings, it can be difficult for families to find the time to hang out together. By volunteering together, families are able to strengthen bonds and make memories while performing meaningful activities. Moreover, parents who volunteer are modeling the importance of helping others and making a difference in the world to their children.
Today many high schools require students to volunteer as a graduation requirement, some religious education programs require volunteering and colleges like to see volunteering on admissions applications. A volunteering family vacation is a great way for the kids to get those volunteer hours while seeing new places and learning about different cultures and ways of life.
To learn more about how your family can reap the numerous benefits of volunteering and travel through a volunteer vacation, please contact us.
- Vacation Souvenirs: Buy Local, Buy Authentic
- Expert tips for what to do with your pets while on vacation
- 6 Tips for Sleeping Well on Vacation
- Your Best Vacation: Why You Should Use a Travel Specialist
- Get to know Awaken Travels agent: Owner Cindi Sanden
- 5 of the Most Unique Cruises in the World
- 10 Valentine’s Day Gifts for Your Favorite Traveler
- Lose Yourself on the Sublime California Pacific Coast Highway
- The Eight Best Family Activities in Japan
- A Look at Three Fantastic Halloween Destinations